Tuesday, February 12, 2013

One Month Reflections

     In the one month I've been in Ireland, I've learned fourteen very important things.

1. Some stereotypes are true.  Ireland really is green all the time, which definitely came as a shock when I stepped out of the airport.  Also, when choosing Trinity, I thought that the bad weather was a stereotype--surely it can't rain every day out of the year.  That, my friends, was an unfortunate mistake, because it certainly does rain essentially every day.  And according to the Irish people I know, it doesn't get better in the summer.

2. Some stereotypes are false.  Irish people do not all have red hair and freckles; in fact, the average Irish person looks quite different than that.  They tend to be very pale, with dark dark hair and striking light eyes.  Actually, although I hate to admit I know anything about the series, they remind me of Twilight vampires (and are on a similar level of attractiveness, I might add).

3. It is infinitely easier to waltz with your eyes closed.

4. Making new friends is hard.  A lot harder than I had thought.  When I envisioned myself in Ireland, I imagined becoming fast friends with Irish people and becoming "one of the gang" immediately.  It doesn't work like that.  People here already have their friend groups, and breaking into one is an almost-impossible task that will take months.  Sure, I know Irish students, but I'm not yet close with any of them--I don't see them outside of class or group meetings.  It doesn't help that everyone lives in completely different areas of town.  I feel like I'm orbiting a social world; all I can do is watch and be extremely envious.

5. Don't wear rain boots in Dublin.  You will look like a tourist.

6. I don't like being The American.  My roommates and I have taken up various methods of combating this.  We've learned how to say short phrases like "sorry" and "excuse me" in a passable Irish accent so that when we bump into people on the street, we won't be That Stupid American.

7. Never let your Biomaterials professor learn your name.  I only introduced myself once, but that was enough.  At the beginning of every class, he stalks around the classroom and fires questions about the previous lectures at the students--you can practically smell the fear in the room. However, the professor only asks the students whose names he knows.  Guess who gets asked every time.

8. There are scarier things than spiders in the world.  Centipedes.

9. The Irish language is impossible.  The rules, as far as I can make out, seem to be that every "s" turns into an "sh", every "sh" turns into an "s", "mh" and "bh" turns into "v", c's are sometimes hard and sometimes soft but there are no hard rules about that, and random syllables are not pronounced in the middle of the room.

10. Even though the Irish language is impossible, Irish names are beautiful.  Fiachra, Niamh, Raeghnya, Sinead...They sound like the wind.

11. Walking is difficult.  Especially when nobody can decide whether to walk on the right or the left.

12. On a similar note, jaywalking is not illegal here.  Goldmine.

13. Irish fashion is strange.  Short shorts with tights are the new fashion for girls, no matter how cold it is. I'm a bit mystified.

14. I'm absolutely, completely in love with Ireland.










No comments:

Post a Comment