Thursday, January 10, 2013

An Incident with Arachnids

     At approximately 8 this morning I was innocently blow-drying my hair on my bed.  Ten seconds later, I was maniacally shrieking and running through the apartment. The cause?  A spider.
     This spider was genuinely scary, though.  It spanned the length of my palm, and had long spindly legs that twitched when it walked.  And did I mention it was as big as my palm?  Even its mother would have turned away in disgust.  I didn't notice the sneaky thing until it had crept about a foot away from my head, and I could tell it was ready to pounce.  So I did the sensible thing--screaming like a dying mongoose and running out of the room.  I got my brave roommate Abby to kill it, but now my boot is covered in spider legs.

Imagine this crawling towards your head.
     Now I have a bigger problem--my room is no longer safe.  I checked everywhere I could, but I knew deep down that the spiders were hiding in the corners just waiting for me to look away.  As I write this,  I automatically glance around the room every 10 seconds, craning my neck around to make sure one isn't creeping up behind me. And sleep?  Let's not even go there.
    It's not just my bedroom, either; two days ago, there was a spider in the shower.  It was significantly smaller, but I still took my shower in record time and then sprayed it down the drain.  It's going to be a looooooong semester.

       In other news:  we toured the Guiness factory.


Pouring the perfect pint.  I even have a certificate.
  
Learning about the brewing process was fantastic.  The beer itself was gross.

We stumbled into the old House of Lords--it had become our new bank, but one lovely room was still preserved.
The beautiful ceiling

The entire room

Golden sceptre that the Bank of Ireland out-bidded Ireland for

More chandelier :)


     Tomorrow I go to register for all my classes, although I'll actually be registering for about a week.  Trinity is, as fellow Irish students have told me, in the Dark Ages.  There are no computers for registration.  I have to run around to all the separate departments, beg all sorts of important people to sign bunches of papers, figure out my timetable....it's a mess.  And the two biology classes I need to take?  10 hours per week of class time, AND they conflict with every other class I wanted.  So it looks like I'll be taking Bio senior year.  I can't believe I ever complained about Cornell.

No comments:

Post a Comment