Saturday, January 12, 2013

Irish-isms, etc.

     Generally, calling someone a whore is not something you do in polite company.  In fact, it's not something you're supposed to do at all.  But in Ireland, it's an everyday occurrence.
     Irish slang is an interesting thing.  From what I've gathered so far, it's a mix of Gaelic and transformed American curses and insults.  For instance, "whore"--that is, "cute whore"--is a fairly common saying that essentially means "he/she is sly or clever."  It's pronounced slightly differently, "hyew-er" instead of "hoar."  Another example of Irish rule-bending is "feck."  I am told that it means the same thing as the actual swear, but is not in fact a curse.  Same with "shite."  This sounds to me like something a teenager would say to get out of trouble with his parents, but there's no arguing with them.
    I have a few personal favorites.  The most interesting phrases I've come across are "[like a] cow looking over a whitewashed wall" (wearing a vacant expression), "fine half alright" (pretty girl), and "[she has a] head like a lump of wet turf" (ugly girl).  But by far the most common (and most confusing!) is craic.  Pronounced "crack," every time I hear it I whip my head around, expecting ravaged-looking men in illicit alleyway conversations exchanging money and drugs.  Eventually I had to stop; it's used so often that I got whiplash.  It means, loosely, "fun."  I often hear "How's the crack?", or "Where's the crack?" thrown around, and every time I have to remind myself that it is actually harmless.  I only have to ensure that I don't bring the phrase back with me to America, because then I might really be in trouble.
   
     I got some of the class registration done yesterday.  As I expected, I ran all over campus to get the signatures, but the professors were unfailingly friendly.  The head of the Mechanical Engineering department is fantastic--one of the nicest people I've met, and certainly more flexible in terms of scheduling than Cornell ever was.  So far I'm taking Statistics, Biomechanics, Roman Art & Architecture, Roman Religion, Social Psychology, and either Acoustics or Irish Art.  Each class is worth 2.5 US credits, for a total of 15 credits. The entire system is different, though; instead of assigning regular homework and exams throughout the semester, your entire grade is based on the final exam or the final paper for the course.  It's a bit nerve-wracking, but we'll see how I do.
      The Trinity campus itself is gorgeous.  It's all very old and majestic, with cobblestone streets and towers everywhere.  I love it.

The first square, Parliament Square, of the campus.

Parliament Square is entirely paved in cobblestones.

Blue sky!  I haven't seen it since.

The view just as you enter through the front gate.

     Right in front of one of the libraries is an odd statue of a bronze ball with some of the skin torn away to see the innards.  It's very interesting, but (as with most art), I don't quite understand it.  Perhaps the art courses this semester will help.

Right outside of the Berkeley Library, named after the same man that UC Berkeley is named after.

The guts of the ball.



     Classes start Monday, so I'll get very familiar with the campus very soon.  I'll take loads of pictures.  Also on the agenda--joining clubs!  I hope to join two choirs, the dance society (to take Latin/Ballroom dance, woohoo!), the Christian Union, and the International Students Society.  I also found a church for tomorrow; these Irish roots will be growing before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment