Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dublin Castle

     These past few days have been absolutely crazy.  Trinity classes started on Monday, and figuring out my schedule along with the layout of Trinity has been an adventure to say the least.  To start with, Trinity classes are not scheduled normally as Cornell classes are.  At Cornell, we have regular lecture times and halls--every MWF at 10am I have Statics in Phillips 101, for instance.  At Trinity, it's the exact opposite.  I'll have a class two or three times a week on completely random days, at all different times, and in all different buildings.  It's a nightmare trying to remember where you're supposed to be; I doubt I'll have it down by the time the semester ends.
     As for class content so far, it's been fine.  My Statistics class will be awfully easy, I think, but other than that there's nothing special about the classes.  I am taking more liberal studies courses than ever, which means I have more essays than ever.  The essays are due in March, but I'm starting them now because I have so many.  Favorite assignment?  Write about Disney's adaption of the Hercules myth.  I get to watch movies for class.  This is gonna be great.

     On Sunday we visited Dublin Castle, the sort of block of government buildings.  We weren't actually allowed inside because it was being used, but we did get to wander around outside.

Foreboding spires.

Gorgeous castle.


     
Obligatory roomie pic.
     There was a lovely red door in the middle of the castle.  I couldn't resist.


     The courtyard in the middle of the castle had a cozy little garden (more of a walking-space, really).  The best part about it was the green--brick snakes were inlaid in the grass.  Their bodies twisted around to form an intricate figure.
The head of a snake

Bodies of the beasts.
      And, of course, there were fantastic stone doorways and wrought-iron twisty things and flowers.



Me + roomies in the background


Flowers? In January?  'Tis true, 'tis true!





I love the doorways.
       We also walked along O'Connell Street that evening.  The Liffey River splits Dublin into the north and south sides; Trinity (and my apartment) is on the south side.  The river at night is fantastic.


     And on our way home, we passed a Disney store.  Well, we think it was a Disney store.  It looked more like a hybrid of Disney store and a Disney strip club.


I really don't understand how they made Donald Duck look seductive, but they certainly did.  Props to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment